Skip to main content

Of entering a new phase of life - Food for Thought at Botanic Gardens

Just this weekend, the Man had brunch with his army friends, all three of them were married in the last three years, two of them with one kid each below 3 years old and the other one with his first kid on the way.

First time for us where conversations mainly flowed around children, housing matters, maternity insurance(!), etc. So different from the usual and obviously signifies a change in our phase of life. I'm excited!

I haven't been to FFT in ages, and since we were there around 9:30am, noted that we were still in time to make it for the early bird breakfast menu, so we got the Greek yogurt with gula melaka granola and fresh strawberries ($7), and got the eggs and toast set ($5) plus sides of chicken sausages and fried mushrooms. 

Just to share, the gula melaka granola was very good. I don't eat much granola so I have very little to benchmark. But this one, with loads of little sunflower seeds and chopped hazelnuts, a light sprinkling of dried cranberries, dessicated coconut and spicy candied ginger made me happy.  

I found the food was generally generic tasting but portions to be quite quite generous (save the greek yogurt). Our friend ordered the pancakes which came in two huge thick slabs that could potentially feed four ladies as a dessert comfortably.  



Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…