Skip to main content

Shibaken French Cuisine

It is not very often a Japanese-French restaurant pops up on our little island and I am quite the sucker for novelty so as soon as I found out about Shibaken French Cuisine, I was eager to check out French food served in a kaiseki manner.

The open kitchen is surrounded on 3 sides by counter seats (not unlike sushi counters) and there are four other small tables as well, suitable for those who prefer a more private affair. The small seating capacity made the restaurant seems more exclusive but the table setting was a little off -- fine metal cutlery and paper place mats? Anyway, I was seated at the counter to witness all the action and watch my dinner being prepared by head Chef Shibata Kenichi and his assistants. Currently only a fix prix menu ($88++) was served, saving me the headache of having to make decisions.

The first few dishes were cold and prepared so only assembly work was required.

The amuse bouche of bean curd and yuba (soya milk skin) topped with jellied fish consomme was quite bland except when you bite into the ikura that gave a salty tang. That was followed by a cold leek and potato soup, sprinkled with fresh lime zest. I could taste the grains of the potato but not much of leek. The next dish was better, a cold pasta dressed in marscarpone cheese and topped with creamy uni and caviar and Canadian lobster. The cheese sauces were not heavy at all and rather mild flavoured. The organic salad with fresh sashimi left-eyed flounder with tomato dressing was rather interesting as I seldom have sashimi with anything but soy sauce and wasabi.

By that point in time, I was seriously looking forward to something warm.

The sauted rock fish with stewed vegetables and bouillabaisse sauce would have just been forgettable if not for the mixed herb salad that contained panfried julienned ginger strips that gave the salad a bit of kick. A freshly baked petit bread roll was served with the fish and had a buttery, fluffy innard perfect for wiping up all the thick bouillabaisse. After the fish, we had a hot soup with fish cake and scallop and chopped bamboo and lady fingers. The next dish was a cold soba dish topped with grated dry mullet roe (bottarga). It was the most interesting dish of the night and I could not see how it was a French dish at all. The grated dry mullet roe was like fish floss but in a more crystalline form. Anyhow, it was surprisingly quite tasty!

As you can tell thus far, the menu was primarily focused around seafood that was really fresh, but there was a meat course that I requested for a substitute. Complimentary sake went well with the baked seafood parcel with a dill cream sauce that was just so-so. My friend thought the Japanese beef with Portuguese wine sauce was really tasty and tender though. The savoury courses concluded with a bowl of fluffy Japanese rice, pickles and red miso soup, just in case I was still peckish after all the earlier (eight) courses.

Dessert was a trio comprising of home made earl grey creme brulee (fantastic!), crunchy chocolate ice cream (interesting to bite into the crunchy pearls) and madeline (slightly too dry) with fruits. The desserts were lovely with a choice of coffee or tea. Did you notice the really pretty coffee cup?

Shibaken French Cuisine
Gallery Hotel, 1 Nanson Road
Tel: 6836-1613
Open for dinner only from Sunday to Friday
Cosed on Saturdays


Camemberu said…
Very very interesting! Thanks for this gorgeous review!
Keropok Man said…
Oh no... it's tempting me!!

esp the starters and the desserts :-)
M. said…
camemberu, keropok: thanks for checking out my blog :)
MamaBoK said…

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…