Skip to main content

Rakuichi Japanese Restaurant

I really like Rakuichi. It is located in the least expected of all places and the restaurant is small and cosy with a feel that is modern and simplistic. The service is minimalistic but still meets the basic expectations, so it suited me just fine.

I thought the food was pretty excellent as well, but of course, my company could have also enhanced the part. The sashimi was fresh, thick and sliced right right. Notably, akami was served (the lean part of the bluefin tuna or hon-maguro). In my opinion, that speaks volume, because a lot of restaurants serve sub-par, farmed tuna. Not to mention, the picturesque presentation that added onto my dining experience.

The aburi sushi was quite thoughtfully planned so each piece of sushi had its unique pairing of a complementary condiment. I didn't manage to photo the unagi-don but it was a lacquered bento box filled with sushi rice, topped with two beautiful slabs of glaced, barbequed eel. Pickled lotus root and ginger were not an afterthought, but rather necessary as a interim mouthcleanser from the rich-tasting eel.

Also good was the chawanmushi. Not really a big fan of this, I was really impressed by its silky texture. It was also a pleasant surprise to find a gingko nut and a whole shelled shrimp within.

For a homegrown Japanese restaurant. Rakuichi certainly surpassed my expectations. Whilst the prices are certainly not the cheapest, I find them still quite reasonable - certainly a keeper.

Rakuichi Japanese Restaurant
545 Orchard Road
#03-11 Far East Shopping Centre
Tel: 6737-0757


Joan said…
Yeah, I really like Rakuichi too! I went to their Dempsey Road outlet in January and really enjoyed my meal there!
The Movie Club said…
Hi, just chanced upon your site. Looks good, and can see that you feature a lot of Japanese food.

So where would you recommend for value-for-money Japanese food?

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…