Skip to main content

Sri Kamala Vilas

It was a really spontaneous decision to alight at Little India with the intention of transferring to the NEL train. But one thing led to another and I soon found myself facing Sri Kamala Vilas restaurant. I found the name familiar, and recalled reading some recommendations on their thosai. Despite my initial reservation about being a minority once I enter the coffeeshop, I decided it was about time I broke my dry spell from thosai, a typical South Indian crepe, made from a fermented mixture of ground rice and beans.

plain thosai ($1.50)

Very quickly, a freshly prepared and ginormous piece of thosai plated on a piece of banana leaf was served. Another guy followed behind with metal pails containing different side items. I got a coconut chutney that I didn't care too much for, a coconut and chili sambar that was pretty average and lastly, a watery vegetable sambar that was surprisingly my favourite. It was tasty and flavourful despite its appearance and I particularly loved biting into bits of mustard seeds. Its watery consistency also allowed the thosai to soak it up real good.

I loved the thosai's crispy parts on the edges and despite the large appearance, the crepe was not heavy at all. A plus point was that it was not too sour either. This is definitely one thosai I would gladly stain my fingers for again.

Sri Kamala Vilas Restaurant
(not Komala Vilas)
Block 662, Buffalo Road (Tekka Market)
(Beside the POSB ATM)


Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…