Skip to main content

Olio Restaurant

It was rather strange that all the restaurants at the basement of Suntec seemed to have a perpetually long queue but Olio was just the opposite - I got a table right away. Honestly, I went because of a recent review in the papers. Yes, definitely a classic example of how ST can boost a restaurant's business.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious the cafe was and I liked that today's paper and latest magazines were available for browsing. The menu is quite varied to cater for everybody. For the indecisive one, there is a 'chef's recommendation' logo to help narrow your options.

The capellini pasta with salmon in a miso cream sauce ($14.90) was one of the recommendations. The pasta was topped with two pieces of pan-fried salmon fillets and a bright orange glob of tobiko. Whilst it was a feeble attempt to jazz up the presentation, I thought it was still commendable.

The fish was quite fresh and not overcooked. The ample cream sauce was mildly sweet and coated each strand of the al dente pasta very well.

The laksa spaghetti ($12.90) was another other recommendation. Yet another rendition of Wild Rocket's laksa pasta, Olio's interpretation was akin to eating laksa that has been drained of all its gravy but left with all the bottom sendiments. This was different from Wild Rocket's version that was heavy on the laksa leave as a pesto sauce. Do I make sense??
Anyway, the sauce was not bad. It tasted 'lemak' withouth being overly oily and I could make out bits of laksa leaves and other things that go into making a laksa paste. Its flavour was definitely infused into the al dente spaghetti and there were generous fresh shrimps, hard-boiled eggs and gravy-soaked tau pok for completion.
Despite my initial reservations, both "fusion" pastas turned out pretty decent. Definitely something I would re-order, if I happened to be back.

B1 Suntec City
Tel: 6238 1109


Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…