Skip to main content

Rong Ji Seafood

I blame the gloomy and cold weather for evoking such a nostalgia for childhood comfort food that satisfied I saw myself craving for both the savoury and the sweet.

Rong Ji Seafood started off as a tze-char stall within Seletar Hills market/food center. It was very popular, being one of the few stalls that opened at night, and not to mention, its very economical prices. I have vague recollections of loooong wait times, but as a child, time seemed to pass by very quickly when you get to play at the playground nearby. The parents still joke about how on several occasions, we waited for up to an hour for our food, only to devour everything within 15 minutes!

When the market had to close for land redevelopment, Rong Ji shifted to its current location at Seletar Gardens. The headchef/owner has since passed on the wok to his son, but he is still fronting the stall and serving the crowd. My family still makes it a point to eat there although it is rather out of the way just because.

I don't remember having a bad meal but we somehow ALWAYS get the claypot fishhead if it is still available. My mom reasoned that the stall limits the number of portions because they don't want to risk leftovers. The song fishhead is always fresh and deep-fried first to preserve that freshness. Together with abundant amounts of mixed vegetables, yam chunks, sio bak (roast pork) and fried tofu, the fishhead is braised in a large claypot and arrives bubbling hot and guaranteed to scald your mouth if you just cannot wait. The gravy is sufficiently thick and robust, but not so that it gets jelat. This is really a one-pot dish and I would be totally satisfied with this plus a big bowl of rice.

Other things that we usually are the hei chor (deep fried pork and shrimp roll) and black bean paste la la (clams).

Rong Ji Seafood
(within a coffee shop all the way at the back of Cactus Road)
Seletar Gardens


Anonymous said…
It has since closed due to redevelopment. Do you know where they stift to?
Anonymous said…
North Star at ang mo kio

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…