Skip to main content

Aoki - A second chance

I felt I needed to give Aoki a second chance, to confirm the nagging and negative feeling about this place.

The sushi set lunch that day appears almost identical to my order from almost a year ago. They tasted pretty average for one of the top Japanese restaurants in Singapore. But that piece of hamachi was really fishy and the chutoro, sinewy.

Rescuing the less-than-satisfactory main course was a tasting platter of desserts. There was a macha-lookalike icecream but it was actually wasabi. Just a little creamy, it possessed just a bit of that 'kick' without being overwhelming. In the middle, there was a couple of delightfully chewy mochi sprinkled with a fragrant roasted soybean powder and drizzled with a bit of brown sugar syrup. Oh boy, I loved those glutinous things! Last but not least, I had a yuzu sorbet that was good, but would be even better if it was not so sweet.

Service was good, if not borderly obstrusive, as expected of a Les Amis establishment. But really, the desserts and service could not make me come back.

Strangely, despite the countless cups of hot tea, I still felt cold. I think it was the team of aloof chefs in front of me - they countered any ounce of warmth and were such turn-offs. Honestly, if not for the good company I had, only bad memories of that lunch would remain and that would just be so sad.


ice said…
woo...I'm so glad your company was better than the Tiffany-class sushi... =)
MamaBoK said…
Ok.. so no Aoki for me either.. :)
mark said…
Hmmm...Aoki...generally $$$ but they have some of the best Uni in town...with Kyushu and Hokkaido varieties :)

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…