Skip to main content


Originally uploaded by Skinny Epicurean.
Tiramisu is one dessert that always tempts me whenever I find myself in an Italian restaurant, still peckish after a main course. On the other hand though, I am always a bit hesitant because more often than not, the dessert fails to "pick-me-up".

So what will be my "perfect tiramisu" (if there is even such a thing)? It is one that has very moist sponge layers, making them even slightly squishy, and on first mouthful, reveal the secret ingredient of kahlua and other alcohol that could possibly cause any alcoholic have a relapse. It should not be too sweet and the cocoa powder should help to create a complementary bitter sweet effect.

I made tiramisu only once before and honestly, I can't remember much other than the crowd loved it but the tiramisu had a very soft body and collapsed.

This time around, I scoured around for a most authentic one and tweaked the recipe a little to adapt to the quantity of our packaging here. I also like that this recipe makes a zabaglione and hence, no fear of salmonella here, even though that means a few extra steps and cleaning up. The friends loved it and I do too.

(Makes 24 single servings)

48 ladyfingers (errr, they are biscuits, not vegetables)
1.5 cups espresso (you may dissolve 4tbsp instant coffee granules in 1.5cups of hot water)
0.25 cups of Kahlua
2 tsp sugar

500g mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 cup fine granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
3 tbsp Kahlua
3 tbsp Bailey's Irish cream
200ml heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Let's prepare the filling first.

1. Mash the mascarpone in a large metal bowl until smooth.
2. Put some water in a pot to a boil (creating a water bath) and then turn down to a low heat, creating a rolling boil.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another large metal bowl, until light and fluffy. Then mix in Kahlua and Bailey's.
4. Over the bain-marie (a.k.a. water bath from step 2), continue to beat the egg yolks until the mixture thickens. This should happen when you start to notice small bubbles forming at the bottom. Remove from heat.
5. Pour this mixture into the mascarpone cheese and beat in well.
6. Separately, whip up the cream until thick and fluffy.
7. Fold in the whipped cream into the mascarpone cheese mixture until well blended.

Now, let's assemble the dessert! Prepare a 9"x12" pan, at least 2.5 inches tall.
8. In a shallow pan, mix espresso with sugar and Kahlua.
9. Dip each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture, give it a quick turn and start lining the bottom of the pan.
10. When the bottom of the pan is all nicely lined with coffee-soaked ladyfingers, pour half the filling evenly over them.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10.
12. Sprinkle unsweetened cocoa with a sieve all over the top.
13. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.

Bon appetito!


Cavalock said…
you used both Kahlua and Bailey's? wow, sounds cool. I only seen recipes using one or the other.
mia said…
heh, talk about overkill!
dx-blogger said…

You have great blog. Would you mind to have a link exchange with me.

Please email me if you are interested.

my email : kamarul[at]hoteltravel[dot]com

I'd like to exchange your link with our company website.


Note: You can delete this comment.
foodhoe said…
mmmmm that looks delicious! It usually sounds better than it looks, but not in this case I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…