Skip to main content

Banana Walnut Raisin Cake

A couple of ripe bananas on the counter inspired me to bake a banana walnut cake. And just because I had some raisins sitting around too, I threw them in. The extra efforts to toast the walnuts before adding them into the batter paid off as the crunchy bits just seem to taste that much more aromatic. The recipe uses molasses sugar but you can substitute it with brown sugar if it is more convenient. Also, to cut baking time, I used my silicon muffin cups to make smaller versions.

This breakfast definitely takes some time to make but it's worth the wait. I enjoyed mine with a cup of bitter black coffee. Bliss....

(makes 2 - 9x5 loaves; or 12 muffin-sized cakes)

8oz all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
4oz salted butter, softened (or add 1/2 tsp salt if using unsalted)
5oz molasses sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large and ripe bananas
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4oz walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
4oz raisins (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with milk and vanilla essence. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until well mixed. Add salt if neccessary.
5. Add in the eggs and beat in well.
6. Add walnuts, banana-milk mixture and raisins. Mix well.
7. Add flour mixture and fold until no more white floury bits are seen.
8. Divide batter into prepared vessels.
9. Bake 55-60 minutes for the loaves or 25-30 minutes for the muffins. Use the tooth-pick test for doneness.
10. Let cool on the rack for as long as it takes not to burn your fingers. 11. Eat!


Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…