Skip to main content

Whitebait & Kale

A recent university gathering was held at W&K. It had been quite a long while since my last visit and I was rather looking forward to a delicious dinner.

Well, it fell short of expectations. The lobster bisque ($12) was thick and strong with a crustacean flavour but rather saltish and after a couple of mouthfuls, I wished for some cream to cut the overwhelming taste.

I was told the crab capellini pasta (S$26) was done rather nicely. With the Marmalade pasta at the back of my head, I went along with the suggestion. Alas, it was not as expected. I akin my pasta to a glorified fried chor bee hoon with crab meat. It was tasty no doubt but definitely did not feel worthy of the slightly hefty price tag.

My neighbor got the monkfish (S$34) which was all right but could use with more generous seasonings over the otherwise bland white meat.

The best dish for the night came in the form of dessert. We had the baked apple phyllo parcel with maple ironwood ice cream (S$13) which was prepared a la mode. Piping hot, the phyllo parcel was crispy and flaky. The oversized poh-piah was almost bursting at its seams. It was filled with chunky apples and a paste which I believed comprised of oats and almond, studded with raisins. Served alongside was the maple ice cream that was a real delight and left me hungering for more.

Given its awkward location, I really wonder how much longer it will survive.


umami said…
It's location is actually key, because the chi-chi crowd loves eating and being seen there. Kind of like the other overhyped place P.S Cafe.
Cavalock said…
Never been to WnK...was at Kaisan again, almost blew 100 bucks all by myself. Very interesting crowd on thurs...
Chubbypanda said…
Bah. I hate overprices locales.
Mich said…
I totally agree with you regarding the lobster bisque and crab capellini!
Mia said…
umami: thks for stopping by! while i agree with you, i wonder if there is enough of the chi chi crowd to sustain them ... we'll see :)

cavalock: wow! i hope u got some yummy food in return!

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…