Skip to main content

Restaurant Ember

I often go through phases with food. At one point, it was nothing but tomato and cheese sandwiches. But I progress onto new things. Today, it would be oil-tossed pasta with some sort of crustacean. Needless to say, despite the other temptations from the updated and expanded menu, I had to order Ember's interpretation. The angelhair pasta with sakura ebi, lobster oil and chili flakes (S$19; as pictured) was delicious! It was a welcomed change from the usual crab or prawn version and while I could not discern strong flavours of lobster, plenty of little shell-on prawns gave depth to the flavour and I loved the right level of spicy kick. If I had to grouse, it would be on the portion size. It was just a bit too much for an appetizer, yet too little to satisfy as a main.

For the main course, I got the requisite marinated cod with black miso (S$28; pictured above). Again, the portion was generous (unlike W&K) and the marinate was just as delicious as I remembered it to be. But thick as the slab was, the innards were unfortunately pretty bland. It certianly did not taste "off" and I wished more of the miso marinate could have penetrated through. But it was perfect partnership where the cod met the miso. Given that I was already pretty full from the pasta, I had to struggle towards the last bits. Luckily I gave dessert a pass. But the friend's warm chocolate cake arrived, hitting the nose with a strong, tempting chocolate aroma.

The girlfriends liked the place so hopefully we would be back soon to try new things.

Restaurant Ember
Hotel 1929
50 Keong Siak Street
Tel: 6347 1928


Chubbypanda said…
Mmmm... Love miso-marinated anything.

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…