Skip to main content

Sushi Yoshida - Better lunch than dinner

Action, action and more action - alas, all that did not translate into a sensational meal I could blog and share about. In short, my dinner at Sushi Yoshida was rather disappointing especially so after a couple of good lunches there.

The sushi, which was what I was after, was mediocre to say the least. To be picky, I thought the rice was rather bland; rice to fish ratio was also slightly higher than I preferred and the rice mounds sort of fell apart when I picked them up with my chopsticks. Maybe I should just use my hands in future.

The fish was also nothing memorable; the chutoro ($14) failed to melt in my mouth, the hamachi ($7) was a little fiberous (yes, I know!) and the hotategai ($6), ikura ($8) and sake ($6) were just okay. Best of the lot was the aji ($6), creamy and sweet, enhanced with just that bit of grated ginger, spring onion garnish, and a dab of soy sauce. To be fair, the fish was as fresh as a new shipment could be; we witnessed the arrival of a white treasure cove and the immediate preparation by the chefs behind the counter (hence the frenzy).

Though not thoroughly full, I could not bring myself to order any more, lest I be even more disappointed. Maybe it was the distraction caused by the new shipment but in any case, I concluded Sushi Yoshida would remain better as a lunch venue. But I did make friends with the chef's wife and again, had the good company of like-minded friends as always.


Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…