Skip to main content

Disappointed by Jaan

I returned to Jaan for the second time on Tuesday, together with my mom and our dear friend visiting from overseas, Uncle T. The restaurant came to mind immediately when mom told me to think of a venue for lunch close to my work location.

There were many changes implemented since I last dined at Jaan and I was somewhat disappointed with them, as you will read on to find out very soon. The first change was that there were only 3 options each for appetizers, main and desserts. Choice of dessert used to be from the ala carte menu. But this was still acceptable, given that it was a lunch deal after all.

Since I was given the honor of ordering for all, I took the opportunity to see more of the chef's creations by choosing all the 3 different options for us.

For myself: seared scallops with tapanade, applesauce and jus (I like scallops), prawn and artichoke risotto (never had risotto and I rather like artichokes), yogurt jelly with sour cherries (hmm, yoguurrrt!!)

The scallops were a bit too overdone for my own preference but the mashed apple/potato was delicious on its own and went really well with the seafood. But the tapanade sitting on its own seemed rather out-of-place. It would have been too wild on the tastebuds if I ate it along with the apples and scallops so I ate them with my scallops separately. But I prefered the combination of scallops with apple better than the tapanade, which was not bad on its own either, so I just used the tapanade as a spread with the delicious walnut whole wheat roll.

The risotto was deliciously tasty and not oversalted like most restaurants tend to do so. There were 3 large, seared prawns that tasted previously frozen but had no fishy stench, and enough artichoke slices. But I thought I detected a few "crunchy" bits that could be due to uneven cooking of the rice. There was also a nice sprinkle of shaved cheese and drizzle of olive oil.

My dessert was the highlight of my meal. The jello itself was tasteless but the texture blended well with the yogurt. A scoop of vanilla ice cream balanced the tart cherry sauce and there was also a nice dose of mini chocolate-covered rice crispy balls, which added a crispy texture to the overall pudding like texture. Really yummy! There was also a thin piece of sesame brittle atop the cute miniature fish-bowl that held my dessert, but it was rather odd tasting with the rest of the desser so I ate that with my tea instead.

For mom: shellfish bisque (Because mom loves soup like me! But she commented that it tasted very fishy), braised veal cheeks with gnocchi (We do not have veal often so I chose this for her. Veal was very tender), orange creme brulee (attempt to trick mom into having dessert and not be guilty cuz fruit sounds healthy :P. This came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream too!)

For Uncle T: mango and duck salad (well, he requested for that), monkfish tail with truffled mashed potato (he likes seafood but thought the fish was not fresh as it crumbled before he cut into it), flambed banana (I hate all things banana so it was the only dessert option left :P. This was a visual piece of art. Really artistic presentation!)

Right after dessert was served, we were asked if we would like coffee or tea. But we were not told that coffee/tea was excluded from the set lunch! It used to be included! So we were charged S$8 each for a tiny cup of watered down beverage. Now, what could be worse? Well, a dirty teacup! There were old milk foam stains on my cup!

Sigh, I had expected Jaan to maintain at least some level of hygiene. Anyway, I did not kick up a fuss although I did call the manager to feedback the following day. The manager, Ivan Ong, promised "to take care of me" the next time I go there. But perhaps he would have already forgotten about me because I do not intend to go back there anytime soon. I am still sore from my second experience.


Colin said…
Hrh, it really sucks to go back to a good restaurant only to find that standards have dropped.

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…