Skip to main content

SHF#9 - Tantalizing Strawberry Tart

It was just such a nice coincidence that the latest episode of SHF is due around Father's Day, which is also coincidentally my dad's birthday. Kindly hosted by life in flow, the versatile tart is the chosen star this time around.

My first tart-making experience dates back in high school. With a couple of girlfriends, we spent the whole day, messed up my kitchen, and burnt the custard cream, resulting in 11 (only!) mini fruit tartlets.

Since then, I have made several other tarts, both sweet and savory, with success. For this special occasion, I decided to try my first adult attempt at the fruit tart again. Using and trusting the recipe found on Joy of Baking, I don't foresee any bad feedback in terms of taste but I regret to say I should have used my trusty sweet crust recipe instead.

As seen, I would not be serving the tart out of the pan. Simply because of the problematic crust, the only obstacle I met with during this adventure. The instruction was to roll the pastry dough out and line the tart pan but that did not happen because the dough was simply too soft to lift up and turn around! I ended up picking up pieces of flattened dough and pressing in the dough in the pan. Following further instructions, I lined the dough with foil but the uneven thickness of dough caused the sides to brown faster than the bottom. When the blind-baking time was up the bottom looked undone so I lined the sides with foil and baked the bottom further to brown. That was when the bottom started to shrink, causing cracks to appear and broke the bottom shell up into big pieces! I wanted to cry but decided to rely on my long experience with the kitchen to save the tart instead! So I melted some chocolate to coat the bottom in attempt to glue the pieces together. It seemed to work but something else had to happen. When I tried to remove the tart shell out of the pan, a part of the side shell decided to break. I jammed the tart shell back as soon as I saw that. Sigh, so now the tart remains in the pan so at least the shape will hold.

The tart's all filled up and glazed; sitting prettily in its box in the fridge. Can't wait til tomorrow for dad to officially give permission to dig into the tart, after singing the obligatory birthday song and commerative pictures of course :)


I decorated the tart a little to make it more festive :) Oh by the way, I managed to take the tart out of the shell! Phew!

The crust was very crunchy and delicious even on its own. But the pastry cream did not hold its custardy texture. I think the water from the strawberry caused it to water down a bit and became liquidy. But overall, I was pleased with the taste of this tart, sans the presentation during plating. Oh well, guess I just can't have my tart and eat it too!


eatzycath said…
the tart still looks pretty good despite your described mishaps - melting chocolate over the base is a really good idea, will remember it when my tarts next misbehave!
Jennifer said…
That is the perfect Father's Day dessert, I think! I love the writing on the tart as sweet! And despite your mishaps the tart looks delicious...great job!

Thanks for joining in on SHF - hope to see you again next month!
galinusa said…
My dad is not a chocolate lover (I know, he's weird like that :P) so I thought I shall respect his preference and make something else. Despite the lousy asetheics in the end, I am glad I made this because for once, all in my family liked it cuz it was not too rich and fruit is healthy!
sarah said…
oh, that is the sweetest thing - the happy father's day message on the tart!

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…