Skip to main content

The Makeover!

A foreword: This post is about yet another cupcake adventure. Told ya I was on a roll :) Ok, now you have been warned, please read on.

So this morning, I actually slept in! Thanks to the dark and greyish skies created by the early dawn shower, I lost track of time and actually woke up close to 9am! (I know this sounds silly, but I am usually awake by 7:30am so this is rare!) Anyway, everyone else in the household was still asleep so I thought what could be a better way to wake up to than freshly baked goods? I was debating to make ravioli for lunch or cupcakes for brunch and decided to experiment more on cupcakes if I was serious about going into business.

I had bought a tub of cream cheese earlier, just to try my hands on the oh so familiar black bottom cupcakes. I haven’t had one of those before, so it was doubly exciting, to make them for the first time and to eat them for the first time too!

I chose a recipe found off Leite Culinaria’s website. But alas! I had forgotten to stock up on unsweetened cocoa powder. Determined to still make the cupcakes, I thought I could replace the cocoa powder with melted unsweetened baking chocolate. Basically the methodology was nothing fancy. I poured my melted chocolate directly into the well of dry ingredients, before adding in my liquid mixture. I was about to dump all the liquid into my “well” until I realized that the melted chocolate was a bit liquidy, wasn’t it? So I sort of eye-balled the amount of liquid, adding enough to reach a slightly thick batter consistency.

So into 12 muffin cups went the batter. I thought the amount of batter in each cup looked rather pathetic but brushed any doubts aside because my chocolate cupcakes ballooned in the end! Then I topped each cupcake with a generous dollop of cream cheese topping but still ended up with about half of the recipe left! I did not think I was stinging either.

So anyways, into the preheated oven the 12 cupcakes went. 25 minutes passed by but the aroma never really diffused beyond the kitchen. That was not a good sign but the cupcakes turned out looking good. Each cupcake rose up nicely with the peak reaching the topmost of the paper lining. My mom personally thought it could be fuller but I thought the size was just right.

Anyway, taste test…. Hmm, the black bottom chocolate cake had a really good texture! It was crumbly and fine, thanks to Mr Vinegar! But it was rather dry. Duh! No eggs and only 1/3 cup oil?? To add onto the dryness, the cake was not sweet enough so it was rather bland. I should have raised an eyebrow at 1/3 cup of sugar too. The cream cheese topping on the other hand, was slightly sourish, which would be very good if only the black bottom cake was sweeter to offset that.

Eating the cupcake alone got rather boring after the initial couple of bites. I had to liven things up a little by mushing each bite of cupcake with a sip of hot chocolate to make the experience more enjoyable. Oh well. Live and learn I suppose.

But I just wanted to add that taste overall was still not bad. Just that my idea of a cupcake is a rich and buttery cake, enough to stand on its own. This one needed the company of a hot drink, which I relate to a muffin or a bread.

In any case, I had leftover frosting from making Vanilla Gem, so I topped each of the remaining cupcakes with those which really helped balance the sourish cream cheese topping and counter the under-sweetened black bottom cake. So that's how my cupcakes underwent a makeover.


Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…