Skip to main content

Prosperity, Come!

In light of the Chinese New Year festive season, I made a pineapple cake. "Why the association?" you may wonder. Well, to the best of my knowledge, the tradition of pineapple being eaten during Chinese New Year, mainly in the forms of pineapple tarts, or encrusted pastry, originates from the Mandarin pronounciation of the word "pineapple". It is called "huang(2) li(2)", which, by a play on the pronounciation again, sounds much like "wang(4) lai(2)". That, literally means the title of my post - "Prosperity, Come!"

What did I have to lose, whether I believed in that folklore or not? The pineapple cake was delicious! If eating it resulted in prosperity for me, that would just be an added bonus. So, despite your background and beliefs, no harm inviting prosperity to go your way too...

Prosperity Pineapple Cake

- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup, granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 reserved pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup, melted butter

- 3/4 cup, chopped pineapple, drained
- 1 tsp cinnamon + 2 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.

In a big bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and soda.
Add sugar and mix well.

In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg together with melted butter. Whisk in the milk, then the pineapple juice.

Pour the liquid into the flour mixture, folding quickly. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spread the chopped pineapple evenly on the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture all around.

Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a testing stick comes out clean. Check the cake at about 45 minutes. If the top is getting a little brown, cover with piece of foil, before continuing to bake.

Alternatively, you may use a 8"x8" square pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Up the pineapple to about a cup and twice the cinnamon/sugar mixture.


Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…