Skip to main content

Cravings for Chocolate Marble Cake

Chocolate Marble Cake Posted by Hello

A couple of days ago, my brother requested I make a butter cake. Well, I was in the midst of making kek batik so there was no way I would make another item. In my humble opinion, baked goods should be eaten fresh, out of the oven, most preferably.

Anyway, as I surfed through the usual foodblogs, one particular recipe caught my eye. It was posted by Renee (again!) and very apt, as my brother was starting to be concerned about his weight. Well, today, I craved some cake myself and decided to make this recipe to satisfy both our cravings.

The recipe takes a bit of prep time but I thought it was well worth the effort although realistically, the cake did not turn out to be the most perfect. It was just a tad damp (read: very very slightly undercooked) and the top crust was rather cracky. I reasoned for those observations below:

1) my 2-in-1 microwave/convection oven did not have the setting for 175 degrees so I baked it at 180 degrees instead. Increase in temperature would have cooked the top portion faster than the inside.

2) baking time called for between 45 to 50 minutes using two 8"x4" loaf pans. I used a 9"x5" loaf pan, and baked it for about 53 minutues, thinking the +5 degrees in temperature would compensate for the time in the oven.

3) the aroma was soo tempting that I neglected to increase the timing a bit more. Instead of waiting for the cake to cool, and take shape before cutting, my eagerness to try the cake and satisfy my chocolate cake craving caused the cake to disintegrate a little while slicing. Oh well, I suppose asethetics would always come after greed hunger!

But really, the aroma was NOT deceiving because the taste was so unbelievably good to match as well! It was fluffy and just the right level of sweetness. The cocoa portion was chocolatey enough and the crust, oh mine! That is my favourite part of the cake as it was a bit crunchy and really addictive! I was kinda glad the top crust had fallen off as I cut the cake, so I had an excuse to eat remove all the broken bits.

Well now that I have tried and tested the recipe, satisfying myself, the next time I make it (yes, this is a keeper!), I will most definitely try baking it longer (perhaps 60-65mins) at 160 degrees and let the cake sit in the pan to cool and firm up, before cutting a thick slice for myself.

Low-Fat Chocolate Marble Cake

[adapted from “Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts” by Alice Medrich]

- 2 cups (8 oz) cake flour (I used 6 oz of all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (omitted on purpose)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or coffee powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch Process cocoa, sifted
- 1 1/3 cup sugar1 egg1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt (I used lowfat, 200g)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Have all the ingredients at room temperature before starting. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside. (Instead of the bundt pan, I used a 9"x5” loaf pan).

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and sift together into a medium bowl.

Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the coffee powder, sifted cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of sugar and ¼ cup of room temperature water. Whisk together until smooth. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whisk together the one egg and one egg white. Set aside.

Cut the butter into small pieces, and using an electric mixer, beat for approximately 1 minute to soften the butter. Gradually add the remaining 1 cup of sugar and beat at high speed for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl periodically.

Slowly dribble the whisked eggs into the butter mixture, one tablespoonful at a time, beating constantly for about 2 minutes.

Reduce the speed of the mixer to low, and add 1/3 of the flour. Beat to incorporate.

Add ½ the yogurt, and beat at medium speed until well-combined.

Return to low speed, and add ½ of the remaining flour.

Next, add the rest of the yogurt and also the vanilla extract, and beat at high speed to combine.

Add the final batch of flour, and beat at low speed to incorporate. The mixture should be smooth, thick and creamy.

Measure out 1 cup of the batter. Gently fold the cocoa mixture into this 1 cup of batter.

Using a large spoon, fill bottom of the cake pan(s) with ¾ of the white batter, placed in dollops. Cover the white batter with dollops of the chocolate batter. Top this with small dollops of more white batter, spaced out so that the chocolate batter shows through. Using a table knife, marble the batter together by swirling the batter with either a circular or zigzag motion. Do not over-blend. (These are the original recipe instructions. I alternate layers of white batter with the chocolate batter before giving it a swirl with the back of a spoon. Not really pretty though. Would have to figure out a better way to create nice patterns within the cake).

Bake in the lower 1/3 of a preheated 350F / 175C oven for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes on a rack before unmolding.


Emily said…
yummm!! i always love low-fat recipes that are delicious as if they weren't low-fat. alice medrich's book is really great and i tried her brownie recipe from the same book.. really good! too bad it is out of print... along with most of her books! :( but thanks for sharing! going to have to try this one.
blaze said…
I really enjoyed you club cooking website. I also have a site about club cooking Please take a look. I hope you will find it interesting

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Weaning.

Since my last post, I have tried to implement a few changes to make things better.  For one, I have decided to stop feeling so stressed about pumping enough milk for A.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, after 9 months of pumping without mastitis (blocked ducts yes, mastitis no), I suffered not 1 but 2 episodes of mastitis over 2 consecutive weeks, right boob then left. The supply tanked after the first episode and I decided to take the opportunity to slow things down and gradually wean.  Even though the mental determination was there, it was still affecting me psychologically. I mean, after going through the first few months of suffering through the 3-hourly pumping schedule and building up a decent supply, and then reaching a nice maintenance mode where pumping became easier and a way of life for me, it was hard to let go.

Nonetheless, after the second round, and the supply continued to tank, I thought enough is enough.  Final straw was when the Spectra …

The Wedding Gowns

The Man and I tied the knot on 1.3.14, a popular date because of the homonym when read in Chinese: 一生一世, which literally means, a lifetime, if I am not wrong. Anyway, just for the record, we didn't select the date because of that reason, but on hindsight, it made a very nice coincidence and we won't easily forget our wedding anniversary I suppose. When we got engaged, we went researching for the wedding banquet venue right away (more on that later), and then followed by the wedding gown.  After consulting a few recent brides,  unsolicited input from others, and research on bridal forums, I decided I would like to go ala carte. I also eliminated the Tanjong Pagar bridal studios because I admit I am biased and my mind conjures up an imagery of a typical Tanjong Pagar bride that is wearing a tiara, white gloves, a big poofy ballgown and lots of bling.  I shudder uncontrollably at that thought before and even now that the wedding is over.
Eventually, I visited the following few and…

How do you juggle it all :( ?

I just feel that I don't have enough time - for the husband and  much less for myself!

During the workday, I make sure I try to go home on time so I could spend a couple of hours with A, and put him to bed. Then it's time to have my last pump at about 9pm before I just want to  zone out and crash.  The boy wakes up at least 3 times ever since his last leap when he learnt how to stand. Additionally, he fell really ill for the first time (i.e. antibiotics).  Prior to that, he cries 1-2 times but easily soothed with pacifier or with some milk. Because of these frequent interrupted sleep, the man and I took turns to fall ill as well, and it is difficult to recover. I still have the head colds and occasionally coughing spells.

On weekends, our schedule revolves around family events, and then I try to plan so that A can try to get a nap or 2 as well as to plan our routes throughout the day so I would end up somewhere comfortable to pump when I needed to.  Often the nap part fails,…